Hi. I’m Matt Nel. Not Matthew, not Neal. Matt Nel. Kind of like my love love (null).
I was always the quiet child, but always naughty. I didn’t have many friends growing up nor do I have many friends now. Despite being obsessed with vitamins when I was younger and drinking ponstan like milk- I’m actually very much polar opposites to many people. I don’t go out, I don’t drink often and I don’t do drugs or find Beyoncé to be the best entertainer. Although, I complain about all of those things everyday but never do a single thing about it 😂.
I first started blogging around 2012 if we follow the human calendar. I used to copy and paste celebrity news and post it on my site. I was very happy with the 15 views I got that month. I then moved on to fashion, beauty and lifestyle blogging with help from my then friend Zabrina. I wasn’t too good with that but somehow I had the balls to ask the queen of South African fashion blogging, Brett Robson if she wanted to place an advert on my site and pay for it so her blog (way more advanced than mine) would get more views.
After switching blogs and free URLs for many years I finally decided to book the South African domain of my name. I wrote a few posts, to which I Cannot remember what they were about. I created all my online profiles (at the time it was mattnelZA and mattnelTv). I even remember my friend at the time Shezi calling me MattNelZA in class all the time 😂. I treated my Twitter as if I was the editor of Vogue, I picked up a few tricks with following certain people and shortly after that Leon from Infinite PR (I think it still exists) asked me if I wanted to join his team of digital influencers with the likes of Kevin McLennan (@GoTrendSA), Nocturnal Wenchy (who was like my online mother) and Mandi Strimling amongst others.
It was a really cool stepping stone / door for me as it was a way for me to grow my brand and meet really cool people whether it was in person or online so for that I’ll always grateful for Leon.
However being a kid of divorce it was hard for me to continuously post as I didn’t have any money and access to to posting was limited. BUT that didn’t stop me. I created a more deep routed version of my persona “matt nel”. Which then materialized in to MattNel.com. It was the day I was reborn in to a different vessel, or so I believe.
I used it was a way to break free from my childhood bullying from my all-boys school. It was a creative outlet for me when I had no friends at my new school. I don’t think I’ve found what the true meaning for my website is, nor do I think I’ll ever but for now I see it was a way to publish my poetry collections and a place to post my opinions.
A lot of the time when I first started with the blogs and websites I divulged TMI and was criticized for from my mother. An example would be the “write my life” blog series which was EVERYTHING in my life including my suicide attempts and parents divorce. I’ve since changed my approach to posting as I often have to pull the reins a bit on many things I say and post.
I think living for your “brand” is a very dangerous thing to do. I’ve often felt like I lost myself within “matt nel”, I either felt I went too far and it wasn’t easy to come back OR That people didn’t like me solely off the persona I created years ago.
I come across as rude, arrogant, egotistical, intimidating- amongst other things. Which is ironic because all I do is sit in my room and think of ways to help other people. (As cheesey as it sounds). My intentions are always good but somehow it’s never worked in my favor, and if I can feel sorry for myself for a second- I do think there’s way more to me than meets the eye. I’m like an onion, except people usually start to peel the first layer and say bye Felicia without ever telling me why so I can improve and etc.
I’ve been told I don’t give myself enough credit, I do realize that, simply because it actually takes a LOT of effort and time to live a life of something you’ve created. Although I hate what I’ve created I’d rather choose it because my real life isn’t that much sparklier. I’m not noticed as much as I like online but that’s ok because everyone starts somewhere and I do believe that even though it’s taken me five years to get here (wherever that is)… you won’t be able to forget me in the next five.
All of that is the reason why I still post and share information although nobody reads my stuff. I’ve reached 40,000 views on my own. I created a website and brand all on my own. I’ve achieved so much and I’ve never really realsied it. Which brings me to the present day… MattNel.com
I started it in 2014. Although it’s been cancelled several times for several different reasons. I write what’s on my mind and the website represents me- I change it all the time as you know. It’s because I, like a chameleon, change constantly. I guess for me having 6 blog subscribers and only selling a handful of poetry collections so far is a huge achievement for me.
I care so much for people so I hope when they read my posts, no matter how trivial it is or how bad the spelling is- they truly see the hidden meanings and see how I grow and how I’m human. I make mistakes.
So to put this all in a conclusion- I’m 19, I may have a brilliant mind for what you see online, but I’m just getting started. I hope you’ll come along with me on this journey as I don’t often know what the fuck I’m doing 😂. Thanks so much for always reading my posts! I hope this incredibly long introduction to the thing I am is insightful. Maybe one day I’ll be as happy as I pretend I am.
- I love rain
- I have a phobia of lightning
- I used to drink Postan like milk
- When I was a kid, toilet spray was my deodorant
- I think I’m the Taylor Swift of poetry
- I have crippling depression that can’t be solved with memes like yours can.
- I only truly have one friend. Devon Hayes.
- I made a shitty short film. Learning 💪🏼.
- I probably have 10-30 Instagram accounts that I don’t use
- I can’t stand when people use quotes for Instagram pictures. They never relate!!
- Pineapple doesn’t go on pizza. Avo does.
- I’m a writer but hardly ever write. I type.
- Every time I share something, I see a specific person reads it. I click the link just to see what they’re reading to see if I can tell what they’re thinking.. lol
- I brought myself up.
- I may be gay who knows.
- My online presence is nothing compared to how I am online.I’m KIMK online but yet when I meet Hendrik Joerges in person I’m like the Asian girl from pitch perfect.
- Tea over coffee. Cats over dogs. But I love both. One knows where to pee.
- I had an audition for the movie SPUD once upon a time.
- Lady GaGa is my icon.
- Nobody every asks me for help with technology but I’m a whiz kid.
- I co-designed my matric/prom suit.
- I think the LGBT community never gets enough credit for what they do.
- If you end a sentence with BUT don’t talk to me.
- Ice cream over fro-yo
- Boxer briefs or commando.
- I’ve never ACTUALLY dated a person
- I’m obsessed with my first kiss which is a little psychotic.
- I prefer Male psychologists as preferance.
- I’m a smart dumb person.
- If you hurt an animal I will end you.
- I have way too many opinions
- My gap year is probably going to be 24 months
- I’m really bad at drawing
- I love sculptures
- I disliked my art teacher but she was the best.
- I tend to chase people away.
- I tend to fall in love with religious or short people. Meh.
- If I could go back I’d study my ass off and take maths core. I’m sorry it’s just better. Even though I never used it or need to. Who does?
- You’re all I think about every day.